Avoiding Legal Trouble

Parking Lot Accidents: How You Can Recover Due Damages

Just about everyone has done it – opened their door too quick and accidentally dinged the car next to them in the parking lot. Usually, it isn't even noticeable. However, some parking lot accidents are much more serious and can even cause injury. What do you do when you are involved in a parking lot accident and your car has endured serious damage? Here are three options that you have for recovering damages:

1. Take Them to Small Claims Court.

One option that you have is to take the individual to small claims court and sue them. Unfortunately, how can you do this if you don't know who hit your car? This is often a common problem with parking lot accidents. Luckily, it may be possible to speak to the owner of the parking lot to get access to their security footage to get an idea of who struck your vehicle. You may have to get an attorney's help with this, though.

2. File an Insurance Claim.

Another option is to simply file an insurance claim with your insurer, especially if you have uninsured motorist coverage. In many cases, this may be the best way to get the damage repaired. However, some people don't want to do this because the accident wasn't their fault and they're afraid that they'll be responsible for a higher insurance premium. Luckily, if you have uninsured motorist coverage, this usually isn't a concern. It depends on the state in which you live, according to the DMV. Also, it is important to keep in mind that in some cases your insurance company could decide to sue the uninsured driver to recover the damages that they've paid out on your claim.

3. Draft Your Own Contract with the Other Person.

If you happened to be around when the other individual struck your vehicle or the other person left you a note with their contact information, then you may be able to construct your own payment agreement with them. After all, most people aren't going to want you to sue them and some may not want to file an insurance claim (or they may not have insurance to be able to file a claim).

So, you will need to have a legal agreement drafted that will ensure the other person pays you what you are owed. First, you need to have the damage evaluated by a professional to determine exactly how much needs to be paid. Then, the agreement can be drafted. This contract needs to include the amount to be paid, the time limit for the repair as well as the payment, non-payment remedies and a clause that says your right to future damages ceases once payment has been received in full. Then, both of you need to date and sign it.

If you don't want to have to go through this alone, don't hesitate to speak to a personal injury attorney or visit websites like http://www.putnamlieb.com to determine how to proceed. A lawyer can help you get the compensation that you deserve after being involved in a parking lot accident.